Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lesson Plan~Sept. 11, Number 1 and Magnetism

I am back tracking a little but I thought that I would write down what we did last Thursday for preschool while it is fresh on my mind!! (On Thursdays we will be covering math and a general studies of sorts!) I like to plan and write out the details so I might as well share them with you all in case you want to reinforce or even steal this lesson the next time around!

Math
1) read through number flash cards together (number recognition 1-20)
2) talk about what a number 1 looks like (the number of the day)
3) write the number one in the air with fingers-- use this little poem "start at the top and down you run, I just wrote a number one!)
4) stand up , then lay down and be a number one
5) "The Number Bucket"-- I made a number bucket with a food storage metal can and magnetic plastic numbers 0-9 (2 of each, 88 cents at Walmart by the way). The outside of the bucket has the outlines of each number. Kids reach in to find a number, tell the other kids what number it is and then find where it goes on the outside of the can! The kids loved this one!
6) number 1 worksheet (with the number 1, the word "one", and a box to place "one" sticker in)

Magnetism
1) talk about a magnet and show the magnet wand (magnet strips hot glued onto a wooden food skewer)
2) explain that some things are magnetic and some are not magnetic
3) make small posters for each child with 2 sandwich bags stapled onto it and labeled "magnetic" and "NOT magnetic"-- the kids actually caught onto this really quick
4) lay out things on the table one at a time for each child and test to see if it is magnetic or not
** things used---crayon, straw, popsicle stick, magnet, 3-4 metal objects found in the garage, paper clips, safety pin, piece of paper

The kids were great and did a fabulous job raising hands etc. I will try and get some pictures of these things up soon as well!

1 comment:

Maren said...

Finn is still using his magnet wand!